This unique album At home with McKenna was recorded by Liam Kelly in John McKenna’s homestead on Tents Mountain, Tarmon, close to the village of Drumkeeran in North Leitrim. Liam is playing John McKenna’s original Concert ‘D’ flute accompanied by Kevin Brehony on piano. Both house and flute have been restored by the McKenna Society in recent years.
This album was an opportunity not to missed for The John McKenna Society. It was clear from the outset when Liam played McKenna’s flute for the first time at a local McKenna session in Drumkeeran that the flute was in good hands. It was as if mutual respect was evident between musician and instrument.
Liam Kelly grew up in Sligo Town and is a founding member of Ireland’s internationally renowned and award-winning traditional band Dervish. In a career spannng 31 years, which they celebrated in 2020, Dervish have produced 14 albums and have toured worldwide. Liam has also recorded a solo album Sweetwood as well as a duet album Sets in Stone with Sligo Fiddler Philip Duffy.
Kevin Brehony who hails from Calstlebaldwin, County Sligo has a long-standing empathy and a deep-rooted understanding of McKenna’s music. Kevin was first introduced to the music of John McKenna in the 1990s and has been involved with traditional music in the area ever since. Kevin has featured on many acclaimed recordings associated with the music of Sligo and Leitrim.
While the album is available as a CD and download, we are proud to also have produced a vinyl edition, which will be available at the end of the summer, as a nod to the wonderful 78s recorded by McKenna in the early 1900s in New York, critically important recordings which have influenced and guided the course of flute-playing to this day.
We thank both Liam and Kevin for producing this wonderful music.
The John McKenna Society, June 2021
- Colonel Frazer The Highland Skip • Reels
- Judy Callahan Jigs
- Up and Away Merry Girl • The Dark Girl Dressed in Blue • Polkas
- Cook in the Kitchen Mist on the Meadows • Jigs
- Lucky in Love The Bloom of Youth • Reels
- Clancy’s Dream Leitrim Town • Jig & Slip Jig
- The Ballroom Favorite Barndances
- Colonel Roger’s Favorite Happy Days of Youth • Reels
- Gallant Boys of Tipperary Three Little Drummers • Jigs
- Thady Regan Trippin’ on the Mountain • Tripping to the Well • Polkas
- The Tailor’s Thimble The Red Haired Lass • Reels
- The Newport Lass The Mouse in the Cupboard • The Hag with the
Money • Jigs
- The Boy in the Gap Miss Hogan’s Reel • Reels
- Kid on the Mountain Arigna’s Green Vale • Slip Jig & Jig
- The Rollicking Irishman Reels
- Dever the Dancer Connie the Soldier • Slip Jig & Jig
- The Sailor on the Rock The Corry Boys • Reels
- Humors of Ballinafad Around the Bench of Rushes • Jigs